WHAT IS THE YOUNG ALUMNI COUNCIL (YAC)?
Started in 2014, YAC is a constituent committee of the Cleveland State University Alumni Association (CSUAA) that creates/supports programs and services that specifically benefit recent graduates and current students.
The Council’s objective is to create a continuum from student to alumnus, and foster relationships with young alumni that lead to lifetime involvement. The Council is to serve as a training ground for service to the Cleveland State University community, as well as, other groups and boards outside of the University community.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE YOUNG ALUMNI Program?
The purpose of the young alumni program is to identify and address the needs of alumni who are 35 years old or younger by providing educational, philanthropic, social and networking opportunities. The Council’s objective is to create a continuum from student to alumnus, and foster relationships with young alumni that lead to lifetime involvement.
WHAT ARE THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE MEMBERS OF YAC?
- Commit to the mission of the CSUAA and be an active volunteer within the CSUAA.
- Contribute expertise and participate in the strategic development of recent graduate programming at CSU.
- Support the CSU Annual Fund through gifts to Cleveland State University each fiscal year.
- Regularly attend scheduled Council meetings and committee meetings.
- Participate in council-related activities such as CSUAA events, CSUAA meetings, and other young alumni programming.
- Serve on at least one committee of the Council during each year of their service on the Council.
- Promote the YAC, CSU, CSUAA, and the CSU Office of Alumni Affairs within their sphere of influence.
- Commit to serve the entirety of their two-year term. with the potential of serving up to three terms
WHEN DOES THE YAC MEET?
YAC meetings are held six-seven times per fiscal year (July 1-June 30) on a bi-monthly basis beginning with the Annual Meeting in July. Meetings are usually held on the third Wednesday of the month at 6:00 PM on campus in the Union Building, but are subject to change as needed.
WHAT TYPE OF PROGRAMS WILL THE YAC OVERSEE?
The YAC aims to oversee at least one event in each of the following categories every fiscal year: Professional Development, Networking, Volunteering and Cultural/Family Friendly.
Past events include:
- Viking Night Out: monthly social events held at local bars and/or restaurants
- 5 Under 35: panel discussion for students where we showcase recent graduates
- Life Skills 101: an event geared toward students and young alumni to learn vital skills related to finances and professionalism
- Viking Volunteers: volunteer activities within the local community
- Mentoring: assisting students as needed with career related advice
HOW DO I BECOME A MEMBER?
The council consists of no more than 30 members. Membership is available to alumni who are 35 years old or younger, have received their degree in the last ten years and desire to serve CSU through volunteerism and philanthropy. Each spring after carefully reviewing all applications the Council holds interviews for those seeking involvement opportunities within YAC.